
Please read these facts about food allergies to gain understanding the problem affecting us &
more than 11 million Americans. You or your child will likely be social situations with a person w/food allergies, since occurrences are increasing dramatically. Some people think the parents of allergic children are “overprotective,” but when you are risking a severe reaction, or your child’s life, you go to extremes to protect your child.
Food allergies kill more than 150 Americans each year and are responsible for 30,000 emergency room visits.
For reasons that scientists cannot yet explain, food allergies afflict more and more children each year. Between 1997 and 2002, the number of children under age five in the United States suffering from peanut allergies doubled.
The average American elementary school today has ten children suffering from severe food allergies.
There are currently no medications to cure or control food allergies. Strict avoidance of the allergenic food is the only way to avoid a reaction.
The most common allergens –peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, wheat and soy – are staples of our food supply and nearly impossible to avoid completely.
For some children, even small traces of allergenic foods, as little as a drop of milk left on a shopping cart from another child’s snack, for instance, can trigger life-threatening anaphylaxis.
Food allergy affects the entire community surrounding a food allergic child. Schools attended by severely food allergic children must take a variety of precautions – from sanitizing classroom toys to segregating dining areas to providing special medical staff and training – in order to safeguard their health.
Learn more at the Food Allergy Network
here.
2 comments:
Carrie,
When I was a kid I had allergy problems all the time and my parents took me to a doctor is Chattanooga to have the allergy tests done. The results, I was allergic to most everything in some way or another (mold, dust, cats, etc) but I was highly allergic to peanuts and shellfish. I had to take shots for years for all the different things I was allergic to, but in my teens I started getting over them. Before long I didn't have to take shots and by college I could eat peanuts and shellfish, just not large amounts. My reactions now are normally no more than a head cold or something that can be controlled with Sinus/Allergy medicine when I overdo things (I love seafood and being outdoors). I hope this is the case for Ethan and he can outgrow some of his allergies. It seems difficult now, but you are being such a good mother to research and make others aware of what is becoming a common situation.
That is so scary. Does Ethan have severe reactions? I have heard that kids with peanut allergies could have a reaction by being kissed by someone that just ate something with peanuts. I agree teachers/caregivers should be educated about allergies, especially that it is becoming more and more common.
Post a Comment