Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Help Me Please!

Oh, I'm going bonkers! E's been waking up and crying - Way Too Early. We're talking 4:30, 5, 5:30. I don't get him earlier than 6. But he just keeps doing it! He'll cry for a very, very long time and not fall back asleep. We put him to bed at 8. He's always been an awesome sleeper, but he's been doing this now for a few weeks & I don't have any ideas! My Dr. said (a long time ago), that they just never get their children before the sun comes up. Ethan ALWAYS wakes up before the sun is up. Last night, we left a lamp on in his room. When he wakes up & starts crying, it's still dark out, so we thought maybe he'd look at books and fall back asleep. It's not working...

12 comments:

jenni said...

I wish I had some advice--Jake also gets up early, mostly 5:30 but anywhere between 5 & 6. He goes to be around 8 or 8:30 & putting him to bed later is not an option. We aren't sure what to do & when the time falls back, it will be even earlier!
Keep me posted especially if you figure out something that works!!!

The Blankinships said...

when you find the answer can you PLEASE forward it on to me?!?! ben has always been an early riser. but lately he's been up at 4:30 and 5:00 too, ready for the day. to make it worse, he's also getting up two or three times per night. so he's waking up his poor brother, and then there are 2 fussy boys. i have no answers...but i can empathize with you and feel your pain. you're not alone, friend! keep me posted, and let me know what you come up with.

Anonymous said...

emma wakes up too and then we go get her and take to her to our bed. She keeps on sleeping then. Sometimes I think she has growing pains because I discover various things not fitting her anymore. It has to be a phase just like any other phase. When Emma was teething real bad (4 teeth at once) she would wake up several times at night even when sleeping with us in bed. Try giving him somtehing to eat or to drink. My niece will wake up hungry quite often and this usually is connected with growing etc. I don´t have the answer but maybe trying something new could help. I will be praying for you! JZ

Anonymous said...

I had a VERY similar problem with this! I found that I have to communicate with my little girl! I let her know at night when she goes down that I will be back in the morning and would like for her to go to sleep now. We have multiple routines like fan on (which is awesome for noise control from both directions), lamp on, covers, prayers, etc. It is amazing how well kids can respond to simple requests when I tell her, "We are going to sleep now. Mommy loves you very much and I WILL BE BACK in the morning!" For me, letting her know I will be back, then following through on that really helps with the sleeping problems (and I use that phrase anytime we go somewhere and I am leaving her). Also, I know that for my little girl, constant changes were going on – teething, growing, new fears, emotional changes, etc – and sometimes I just had to wait it out. Looking back, it seemed to be so short of a time period even though it seems like an ETERNITY while going through it. I hope this helps! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

i don't have kids, and it's much easier to ignore the dogs if they want to get up earlier than we do. that, and the consequences aren't nearly as bad if someone finds out they peed on the floor because we didn't get out of bed.

josh and darci said...

I say just keep letting him cry it out... That's what we did with Brax when he was in the crib. After a few days he finally got it. Any chance that he's cutting any teeth? That always seems to change Brax's sleeping habits. Not that you can make that any better, but sometimes it is reassuring to have a reason.

Laura said...

I read The Sleep Lady's Guide to Helping Your Child Fall Asleep, Stay Asleep, and Wake Up Happy. Loved it! You might look at E's nap schedule and see if he might be over-tired when he goes to bed. It can make kiddos restless. If Avery wakes up in the middle of the night, I don't speak to her. I just lay her back down. Even if it's 5 minutes before 7. I don't speak until I'm ready for her to be up. Good luck!

Amanda Conley said...

Oh yeah, Emet does that too. It's worse when he has an ear infection, or he's teething or just generally feeling bad, but unfortunately, all the kids are up by 6 or 6:30 on a good day. Because of this, I have no problem with a little TV in the morning. One of us typically gets the kids up, takes them downstairs, turns on a program with the volume really low, fixes them a morning snack and then we lay down on the couch and sleep until seven. After that we feel ready to start the day with them and make their real breakfast. Hope it helps to know you are not alone! Surviving on not much sleep seems to be the theme of early childhood parenting!...sigh...

Laurie said...

Funny! Annaleigh has been doing the SAME thing the last few nights. We just let her cry (after we peek in and make sure nothing is wrong) Usually she will stop crying within 30 minutes and will go back to sleep for an hour or two.

Christine said...

We went through this with Will. I don't remember how old he was. He was to busy to eat his dinner and he was waking up really early saying I want eat. We started making sure he got enough to eat the night before b/c it was not fun with him waking up so early.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

Julia - You must have some fervent prayer, because he slept until 6:50 this morning!!!! I'm not kidding, he hasn't done that in months!!! Will you do this for me every night?

Also, we turned up the sound machine in his room! I hope this keeps up!

Unknown said...

No one asked for a grandmother's view but. . .Babies are constantly changing and growing and what was nothing yesterday scares them terribly today. I am not a believer in letting a baby cry it out; I wasn't with my three and I survived! My mom had a saying that I did not get the gist of 'till my kids were just about grown: Remember, when one stage leaves town, another will be coming. Remember that the whole point of being a kid is growing up and trying what life hands you next. If it is so hard on parents imagine what that little boy is wondering.