
If you are a mom, you know this feeling. A dozen grocery bags in hand, baby bag on the shoulder, and squirming baby in your arms as you unlock the front door.
But what you can’t see is that these bags are quite wrinkled because they are coming home from their second trip to the grocery. I usually bring my own cloth tote grocery bags, but today I forgot them. I did, however, have a stash of grocery bags in the car, so I took them inside to reuse them.
I used to think “paper” was the easy choice at the check out counter. I still think so, but seems like they aren’t all that great either. Click here or here for the paper vs. plastic debate. Anyway, that’s why I'm trying to bring my own these days.
Of course, they always act like I’m crazy when I bring in my own bags, but I’m saving the planet, one bag at a time. It’s such a simple thing. Join me on my crusade…
To buy your own reusable grocery bag, check out ReusableBags.com. If you are crafty, you can make your own. Here’s one grocery bag pattern. I’m sure more are available online.
3 comments:
I'm getting the Walmart top, too cute. I bought a little knit dress from there a few weeks ago, looks precious with leggings and it was $5! Walmart rocks. Supposedly they are trying to polish there image in some cities with wood floors and a large organic food section.
funny! you and 2 others have already posted that they have or want the wal-mart top. us moms are all shopping in the same circles!! wal-mart is getting snazzy on us!
Amen! It drives me endlessly crazy all the wasted shopping bags that get used once and thrown away. Sheesh. I love that so many other countries charge you if you want to use one for your food. When I was in Ireland (and maybe they do this in Germany too?), I learned there that you have to pay by the pound for your garbage, so folks are far more likely to recycle and compost and burn trash (where applicable) than here where we just toss stuff. My aunt in Germany does a cool trick: she has these collapsable milk crate type containers that she keeps in the back of her car. At the store, she just loads what she buys directly back into the shopping cart and then just puts each thing she bought in the crates in her car. Then she carries the crates in the home. Voila! I found that way easier than even bringing my own bags.
Ok, that's all the rant i have in me today.
Post a Comment