
I’m confused about how to do this. I’m supposed to be completely transitioning to sippy cups, but it’s easier said than done! I have 3 problems. First of all, Ethan doesn’t care for the sippy cup. The only way he’ll drink from it is if I hold it. And then, he’ll drink only 3 ounces a day if we’re lucky. Secondly, how do we transition from warm bottle of formula to a cold bottle of milk? I’m warming it (just a bit), because he won’t drink the cold milk right now! (Photo Illustrates Ethan's feelings for cold milk.) And last of all, how much fluids is he supposed to have now? I think I read that he should be drinking 24 ounces a day, which will NOT be happening right now if we just do a sippy cup.
Thoughts? I’m confused!!!
4 comments:
Sophie did not like the trasition to sippy cups either but if you keep offering it, he will eventually take it! Maybe offer it once a day every day and try Avent's magic handles so that he can hold it. Avent magic trainer cups are great as well. I warmed Sophie's milk at first too and then she just got used to drinking it cold. And he'll drink when he's thirsty, try not to pay so much attention to how much. They get adjusted to drinking with meals and as a snack, not so much for nourishment. Hope this helps.
My thoughts...
Have you tried different kinds of sippy cups? Maybe he would like the flow on one better or one may be soothing when he's having teething troubles.
Maybe leave a cup in his play area without ever mentioning it. As he gets more mobile, he may just find himself thirsty and seek to quench it on his own.
I agree with Amy that you don't need to worry too much about how many ounces he drinks. If otherwise healthy, he won't dehydrate. :)
He's old enough now to recognize a power struggle when he sees one. If you make this a huge point of contention, he'll fight you even harder. (Because I am a Brock, I can attest to the fierce stubbornness that flows through our veins.)
Lastly, what if you just try again in a couple of months??
Brax took to the Nuby sippy cups because they're kind-of soft like a bottle nipple. I just offered him milk with his meals (and sometimes diluted juice in-between) and slowly took away one bottle at a time. He'll get it soon! Once he get's it, there won't be "weaning" because he'll just forget about the bottle. I agree with Amy, he'll drink when he's thristy and he's getting his nutrition from food now. Good luck!
Have you tried a straw? They make sippy cups with flexible straws for little ones, not just the ones for older kids. Chloe liked a straw before she ever caught on to the sippy cup. The only down side is they still try to turn it up to drink.
Post a Comment