How cool would it be to put together a friendship quilt? Neatly folded in my parents’ house is a quilt that my grandmother made with her friends. Her square is marked with her name, Jewell, & the year, 1943. Although I never met her, I can learn a lot about her by the fabrics she chose, by the way she wrote her name.
I would love to do this someday. Gather a group of ladies – each putting together a square & piecing together a beautiful quilt like this. Maybe my BBFs & I can do this someday!
I’ve really enjoyed the beginnings of my sewing career. And I am so inspired by the work of Denise Schmidt and Amy Butler . Burda Style is also a very interesting sewing site.
11 comments:
What memories quilting brings back! My mom would piece a quilt all through the spring and summer and then Daddy would put up the quilting frames which took up most of the living room floor space. We knew winter had come! My little sister and I would build a house under the quilt and play for hours! Every few days, Mom would have quilted as far as her arms would reach and Daddy would "turn" or roll the quilt. This slowly diminished our play house and we would have to put away our mess. Many times Mom would say, "I've been looking for that!" as our treasure trove was revealed!
I don't know the first thing about sewing or quilting... but I'm in!
I love it! That would be so fun.
I would love to make a quilt with you (although it may be hard since I live in Dallas,TX). Somehow I feel like we have been friends forever...
I want to find someone who can/will piece all my t-shirt logos (cheerleading, band, clubs) from high school and college into a quilt. I'm not sure I have enough friends to make a friendship quilt -- maybe a "lovey" would work better! :o)
Due in part to your inspiration, I have offically entered the blogging world...I even gave you a shoutout in my first post!:)You should check us out sometime!
http://plattfamilyblog.blogspot.com/
i'm not a great seamstress at all...buttons are the extent of it...but i'd love to do it too! when i was a baby, the tradition at my church was for anyone who wanted to to hand-embroider a picture on a quilt square and sign it for the baby. the blanket is so beautiful still and such a precious thing to me. ben and drew sleep with it in their crib every night, and i just love that! happy sewing!!!
You need to take a trip to Paducah and visit our "National Quilt Museum". We are about to have our quilt show where women of all ages come from all over the world to make and see quilts! Seriously.
I love making T-shirt quilts! That's about the only thing I've ever sewed, but seriously, I love to do it.
Save some of Ethan's favorite shirts, and make him on for high school graduation! (He won't ACTUALLY ever get that big, will he? I just can't imagine that all of these babies are going to be big boys & girls someday.)
I am assuming yall are on vacation this week....
I miss my BBF!
Maybe we can each produce squares with the same design (diff't fabrics) & then do a big trade. Then we all get quilts & can piece together our own quilt w/all different squares! I'm so glad some of you girls are interested! I have too many projects in the works to head this up right now, but maybe before too long!!!
Post a Comment