Saturday, April 28, 2007

13.1


I’ve now knocked out one of my lifetime goals – I ran a half marathon today. In October, I had never run further than 3 miles. My original long-time goal really was to run the Boulevard Bolt, a 5-mile run on Thanksgiving Day. But running 4 miles was a HUGE mental & physical breakthrough for me. It really wasn’t that hard. So I ran 4. Then 5. Before too long, I was up to 8 mile runs!

So anyway, today I finally did it. 13.1 miles in 1:59. I’m very excited about my time. I didn’t really have a goal except to finish, but I thought it would be great to do it under 2 hrs, so I'm pleased. Mile 12 was very emotional for me - it was hard & I've trained so hard that it was a proud moment. I was close to tears a couple of times.

A BIG thanks to Mom & Lance, who gave me time away from Ethan so I could train. I so loved the time with my running partners – Rachelle, Renee, Kerry, Jen, Mason, & Josh. I’ve had the most honest conversations with those folks. Somehow, running with someone for an hour or more lends itself to some very frank chats. Thanks Rachelle for sticking with me throughout the run - I know you could have scurried on ahead.

I have had a blast running. But I’m also very glad to be taking a break. Much love & many thanks to those who have helped me accomplish this goal.

12 comments:

Laurie said...

good for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Congatulations Carrie! That is awesome! I really admire your perseverance. One of my good friends Cindy was at that same run. I'm not a runner, so I admire you both. Yeay for you!

Rachel said...

Yeah! I'm proud of you! That's a great time!

lance said...

i am REALLY proud of you!

Libby said...

That's so awesome! Congratulations!

Melissa P. said...

Congrats!! That is a HUGE accomplishment! I was down there all day cheering on my husband who ran the full Marathon...I am amazed and inspired by all of you runner people!

Hannah said...

Congratulations! You make me want to get out and start running again as soon as the baby is born! That is sooooo awesome!

Courtney said...

Congratulations! I will never forget how I felt after the one I did in Memphis! It's such a high and great feeling of accomplishment! You go girlllll!

Heather B Mc said...

So proud of you!!! Prayed for you this morning and was so grateful for the perfect weather you had!!

The Hadfields said...

Way to go Carrie!! Not only was that a great accomplishment but you look awful cute in your running outfit!!

Anonymous said...

What a great goal to achieve! You are such an inspiration, but unfortunately that is not enough to make me drag my rear out there and actually start running!

the robertsons said...

Congrats! I did one in Knoxville and those hills kicked my butt, but it the most rewarding feeling to finish that race. I have never been a long distance runner, so I really appreciate what you accomplished. Great time!