Saturday, June 09, 2007

Joy & Sorrow

The strange thing about experiencing sorrow is that life still goes on for the living. In the midst of grief, joy is still happening all around. And I’m thinking that’s okay.

You, my blog friends, noticed that the accident happened on the same day as my hubby’s birthday. The day before we closed on our new home. And I'm thinking it's okay for Lance to enjoy his birthday, in spite of what I saw. It’s okay for us to be excited and celebrate our new home. It’s okay for us to experience such thankfulness & happiness for our amazing friends & family (and 3 babies!) that helped us move. It’s okay for us to celebrate today’s arrival of sweet Skylar Young into the world.

But it’s still feels weird. It’s so strange to feel like I can move on with my life, when I’ve witnessed such tragedy. I’m sure it’s not the last time that both sadness and joy creep into my life, or yours. Somehow, I feel like there is some set span of sad time that you should go through, before you are allowed to smile and laugh again. But I guess life doesn’t work that way.

So for now, I’ve had a great day. We are into our final house for a very, very long time. And I am so excited about that. I’ve had my moments where I’ve remembered the accident, but overall it’s been good. And since life goes on, I will continue blogging about food, and crafts, and little funny things that babies do. So I will talk to you again real soon.

4 comments:

Christine said...

I'm so sorry you had to see that happen. I can't imagine having to replay that in my mind. I'm so glad you're in your new house. Heather said it it so cute! I hope you can get everything unpacked and organized. I know that takes forever. We've lived in our house for 2 1/2 years and I still struggle over where to hang paintings and things like that. I'm glad that y'all will be settled for awhile. I hear your yard is awesome.

The Hadfields said...

Did you know the people in the accident? Regardless I know it's still so hard to move on and be happy knowing that someone else is going through such grief, like you said. It's amazing how some tradegies can be explained away by saying "it was God's plan" and others become more complicated by thinking that. Anyways, good luck getting settled. I hope lance had a good birthday.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

No, total stranger, but I'm so sad for both families of the people involved...

The Stone's said...

That happened to me also. I didn't actually witness the accident, but came home to the road in front of and into our subdivision completely closed down for a helicopter. There were 3 young girls killed right at our entrance. I had nightmares for awhile, couldn't stop thinking about them and their families, would replay the scene over and over in my head, and experienced the same emotions as you...how can I move on and be happy...it was just awful. I can't imagine actually seeing it happen. I'm glad you are starting to move on though.