Man alive, do I have veggies coming out of my ears, or what? Our first week of the CSA was quite fun, and we’re now receiving our 2nd batch. The second week is smaller than the first, but we are up to our eyeballs in squash, zucchini, cucumbers, onions, lettuce, strawberries, peas, peppers, cabbage & broccoli. Last week’s vegetable cooking included stir-fry (good use of cabbage), soup, greek salad (hold the olives – bleck) & zucchini bread.
Anyone have any good ideas about what to do with these veggies? And WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THESE 2 THINGS? And what do I do with them???
8 comments:
HA! I was actually on the computer just now trying to discover the exact same thing! We just returned from picking up our first batch and I am feel at little overwhelmed with what to do with all of it! Thanks for the recipes and I will be checking back to see if anyone can enlighten us on our odd looking veggies!
If I'm not mistaken, they are patty pan squash. I haven't had any myself, but I have seen them on vegetable websites. It is just a small, sqished up version of a long neck squash and you can probably fix them much like regular squash (saute with onions, use in casseroles, etc.) I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with to make from them.
Tips from my mom...Yes, they are Pan Squash. You can cut them in half & bake (preferrably in a cast iron skillet), brushed w/honey, maple syrup or brown sugar (cinnamon optional) for 45 min at 350. She also says they will keep for longer than the other squash.
Another tip from mom. Did you know that if you are out of flour, you can blend/grind oats for oat flour? Didn't know this until last week! Check back sometime later for more tips from mom!!
i had to look up the patty pan squash as well. but isn't it pretty? :) after making a squash/zuccini casserole AND a vegetable lasagna, i still had squash leftover, so i just cut them all up (all 3 varieties) and steamed them together. good thing we like squash...i'll have to try your mom's suggestion - that sounds great!
I went to the farmer's market on Monday and got squash and zucchini. Other than a delicious, probably unhealthy squash casserole, the only other way I like them is grilled. I cut both into strips, brushed them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika, and grilled them on the old George Foreman. Send me those olives!!
Other uses for strange squash: table decoration, still-life landscape, child's play thing...
It's kind of cool to find out what all this stuff is, isn't it???
thanks for the ideas. i'll post more ideas & report about my cooking next wednesday. if you have more cooking ideas, keep them coming!
Post a Comment