To be honest with you, I’m not exactly looking forward to Halloween. Sure, seeing my kids dressed up in adorable outfits will be awesome. But letting my boy get a bunch of candies that I have to take away from him b/c he's allergic is gonna be a total drag. I don't know if it's a good or bad decision to take him trick-or-treating. I am still undecided.
I really liked this list of 8 Halloween tips from AllergyMoms.com. I hope this will be helpful to everyone out there - with or without food allergies. Here are my favorites:
1. Keep a stash of “safe candy” or fun trinkets, like bubbles, Silly Putty, tattoos, stickers, spider rings and bracelets. Kids with food allergies or intolerances will be grateful to receive something they can enjoy
2. Be discreet. If you know a child has food allergies, don’t ask “Oh, you’re the one with the peanut allergy, right?” Kids want to fit in and don’t like to be singled out.
3. Everyone loves ingredient labels. Give out candy with clear ingredient labels so parents and children can decide which candies are safe.
4. Listen to the children. If a child says “No thank you,” it may be because they don’t see a safe option in what’s being offered. Don’t make a fuss by insisting they take candy that may not be safe for them.
Last year, I posted this list of candies that were dairy/egg/nut-free. Sure Foods Living has also posted a quick list of foods free of gluten & the top 8 allergens. You can also reference this post to check on the allergy info for your favorite junk.
3 comments:
We are handing out Halloween pencils this year. I get so sick of all the candy too, for different reasons, and this year I decided to do something else. For those of you with a Target nearby, the 1 dollar section in the front is full of great Halloween treat alternatives!! I'm glad to know I'm supporting your cause Carrie!! :)
Hi Carrie,
we are facing a similar delima. we might just pack up and have a weekend at the beach. I want to avoid 7huge bags of candy and Debbie getting a rash like she did last year.Love,Liz Hill
A friend of mine shared the idea of the "Switch Witch" that I thought was cool. Collect candy Halloween night and then leave it out for the Switch Witch. The Switch Witch comes overnight and exchanges the candy for a cool new toy. You'd have to buy a toy, but a cute idea I thought.
Post a Comment