Friday, February 01, 2008

Traveling with Baby


Anyone out there been on an overseas vacation with a small child? We might be crazy, but we're considering a vacation, but wonder how the flight would be. I would love to hear from anyone who has gone to Europe, or taken an equally long flight with a baby/toddler.

9 comments:

Amanda Conley said...

Go to Europe!!! Especially before baby number two is born! As long as you have games, snacks and stuff for naps, two parents and one child should be totally fine on a long plane ride! Go! Go! Go! (And I can't say I'm not jealous;)

Sarah said...

I often dream of us going to Kenya and taking Asher with us. My biggest concern is what to do about car seats once you are there. I realize you can take them with you but that would be difficult to travel with. Maybe others know better about this. I suppose if you were only traveling by train it may be fine. Other concerns, is on our trip to Italy we walked a LOT and wondered how Ethan would do with that...suppose a stroller would do? Otherwise, I am all for traveling.

Jennifer Thompson said...

I don't have kids, but I read/post on the fodors.com discussion boards a lot, and there are tons of threads over there about overseas travel with kids. I typed in "flight with toddler" and got several.

Here's the link to the Europe board...
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

Anonymous said...

Well, i think you should go to Europe! Go figure!
And don´t worry about stroller or car seat. We have everything we need to make your stay as comfy as can be! :)

amanda said...

talk to the Wilsons; they took Kinsey (and connor, unstbeknown to anyone but them!) on the OC England Mission '05.

Anonymous said...

Let me know how it goes. I'm planning on taking Stella to Greece to see her grandparents in May. As far as a stroller, I'm pretty sure you can check it in w/your luggage. Where are you thinking of going? I vote you go to Europe too

Anonymous said...

Hey Carrie - for sure - go!! the trick we found is the stroller. You've got to get a little cheap umbrella stroller - no, they're not good quality or comfortable for the kid - but hey, he's a kid and can sleep with his head bent over! The big strollers are a real drag when you're hopping onto a streetcar or running down a flight of stairs after a metro car - but I've jumped into many a streetcar with a kid in a lightweight umbrella stroller!

And if you're going to London - they've got these big door/gate things going down to the subway and the big strollers won't fit through them.

The best thing is - with a kid in a stroller - people will always give you their seat on the metro or bus! You've gotta love that!!

So we'd say - go!
Lisa O

Anonymous said...

Hey Carrie- As far as plane ride, if you have snacks and toys and are okay with E watching kids shows it will be easier than you think. We had 2 back to back 8-9 hour flights and Judah did much better than I thought. One of ours was an overnight flight and he slept for the entire flight b/c it was his normal sleeping time anyway so he couldn't keep himself from sleeping. I think it is hardest when a baby is right at the becoming mobile stage of around 9 months to a year b/c they aren't as happy staying still.
I think you guys should go on the trip ( :
Emily

michelleandwalker said...

I cannot speak about traveling with a little one, but we went to Europe while I was pregnant. I would think twice about doing it again. I spent a semester there in college, so I expected the walking, but when I was pregnant, it was just exhausting. I would have liked to have waited and gone when I could have enjoyed it more. [Plus, I think the fact that I could not carry my luggage contributed to Walker's back surgery...he got stuck carrying everything in a place that isn't always so wheel bag friendly]