Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Goods for Girls

Have you seen the commercials that address the problem of young African girls who can’t go to school when they are having their period? Granted, I think it’s a bit too simplistic. There are LOTS of things preventing African children from getting an education.

But this is one thing that maybe you can do to make a big difference in a young girl’s life. Goods 4 Girls is donating handmade pads to areas where it is culturally appropriate. I've never made a reusable pad before, but they say it's really easy!! If you don't sew, they also take donations.

Read more about the problem here. Photo by Vince Cook

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many of the women on the fertility website I look at use washable, cloth pads. The same as one of the rationales for cloth diapering, they feel it is not good to have regular chemicals next to the body.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

I'm sure they are way more comfortable than the disposable kind!

TheGlissonFamily said...

I didn't have a chance to say anything to you this morning at sewing, but I heard you and Marge talking about this. I read about this a little on my own and was surprised to find that women here in the U.S. use cloth ones for the reasons Karina commented about. So interesting! I would be interested in making some to send.