Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Baby #4!!!!

“Only in the event of a medical miracle,” I joked with a friend who asked, “Were we having more?” His response was, “You know…that does happen!” This happened hours before I took a positive pregnancy test.

Yes, It’s true. Baby #4 is due on March 20. And while we are shocked, we are also beyond thrilled at the thought.

This was no accident. I am the youngest of 5 children, with a large age gap between me & my siblings. On several occasions, kids asked, “Were you an accident?” I remember going home one day and asking my mom this question. Her response was, “No honey…You were a pleasant surprise.” Here I am, totally agreeing & understanding my mother’s sentiments.

A few days after my positive pregnancy test, I happened upon this verse, which has never rung so true. Proverbs 19:21 says, “Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”

So much about life will be changing now. I had just gotten rid of a huge stash of baby items and maternity clothes that I will now be re-buying. We just purchased a car that will now be less-than-ideal. Our house, which we love & planned to live in for a long time, now seems like it will be cramped with our growing brood (Four teenagers + one 8x6 Bathroom = Yikes!).

We have no idea what this means for our future. Surely there is someone out there reading this who is having trouble getting pregnant and thinking, “Why them? They didn’t even want to be pregnant!” To them I would scratch my head and say, “I don’t know. It doesn’t makes sense to me either.” But I know that the Lord’s purpose prevails. While it’s not the story I would have written for myself, I’m so excited to see how this story unfolds.

16 comments:

Kristen Norman said...

Congratulations!!! More Brocks (more people with your spirits and hearts) are definitely a good thing! I'm very excited to hear this news and I love how you have so beautifully expressed your feelings about baby #4!

Hannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah O. said...

Maybe it's because I'm so pregnant myself, but this made me tear up. We don't know each other very well, but I'm thrilled for you guys. Babies are such a blessing. Congratulations!

Anne said...

When I saw Lance's status update, I didn't believe it! It's so exciting for y'all! I hope that all is going well with your pregnancy. Let us know if you need a break from kids for a nap or just a few quiet minutes. Congratulations!

Amanda Conley said...

You made me tear up too. Your family is so precious and I know you'll do fabulous with four. I can't wait to meet your pleasant surprise!

Hannah said...

what i MEANT to say before i had TWO spelling errors was...YOU ARE a great mommy and so patient! i can see you with LOTS of children!!! maybe you will catch up to your sister soon! ;) so happy for you!!!

Minama said...

I couldn't be happier, Carrie! You made my dreams come true the day you made my son the happiest man in the world and now with the tenth grandchild! What are you, girl, the Dream-granter?

Anonymous said...

And we are so happy about this new grandchild. I really have to stop and think about how many grands we will have but each one is oh so unique and oh so precious. Love, Mom and Dad

Elizabeth S said...

That is fantastic Carrie. And we live in a tiny house with 1 bathroom. And while I would love to have more room, and eventually probably will, I kind of like being "cramped" because we are always together. And I think it makes us closer.

kamelhaarjoe said...

Hey Carrie, so excited for you guys! Great news! I had to think of that quote "We plan; God laughs". And I mean this positively! God always has better plans for us! You are a wonderful Mom! :) much love to you all and many blessings!

Sue said...

The verse I found the day I learned I was pregnant with Olivia is Psalm 127:5 "Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them." It is wonderful to have 4 children. (Even with just one bathroom!...like us!) We are all so excited for you!
Sue

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What wonderful news! I too come from a big family and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
May your house always be FILLED with love and laughter!
Liz

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! So exciting- I love your words, you have a beautiful, Godly perspective on this amazing 'surprise'. I look forward to meeting baby number 4 some day (and Jewel too!),
Emily

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

thank you all, dear friends. it's an encouragement to remember that we can make it work, regardless of where we live! Also...I am certainly not complaining about our house. We are blessed & love it. But it is older, and lacks many "conveniences" of more modern houses (not much storage, small bathroom space, no "playroom", not easy to send our small kids to our backyard alone). I am feeling more at easy, just remembering that we will be fine without some of those things, and maybe even better off without it. We'll just have see where life leads us next!!!

Bruns Family said...

WOW! I'm soo excited for you guys (and glad its you and not us! ;) )...Ya'll are awesome and make really cute babies so keep up the good work!!

Mindy said...

WOW! How am I so far behind? I keep up with your blog but... how did I miss this? No matter... CONGRATULATIONS!!! Very Exciting!!