This blueberry muffin recipe from Simply in Season is a pretty dramatic contrast. They are tasty and light. I have mentioned this cookbook before, but I highly recommend it if you like to cook seasonally. The recipe is extremely versatile, and is the least sweet recipe I've ever found. And my kids still loved it. I must mention that I was a bit surprised at first, because I was expecting them to be sweeter, but they are tasty, once you remind yourself that you are not actually eating a cupcake.
The basic recipe is as follows:
Dry ingredients: 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour, 1 C rolled oats (alternatively you can skip the rolled oats and instead add 1/2 C additional wheat flour and 1/2 C raw wheat germ. OR use an additional 3/4 C whole wheat flour and 1/4 C flax seed meal), 1 T baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon (optional).
Wet ingredients: 1 egg, 1 C milk, 1/4 C oil, 1/4 C honey.
The star: 1 1/2 C blueberries or any kind of berries, fresh or frozen, or go crazy and substitute an equal amount of shredded summer squash.
Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. (Other than this, these muffins are sugar-free. If you aren't ready for the lack of sweetness, feel free to give it a hefty sprinkle of the sugar.)
5 comments:
i can't wait to try this. i'll definitely get that cookbook too. thanks!
mmm, now that you mention cupcakes, Sparkles is selling cupcakes for $1 today. Haha, my sweet tooth gets me every time!
I love the cookbook Simply in Season (and More with Less is my most used cookbook to date probably other than Better Homes and Gardens). Do you use Extending the Table too?
Emily
i haven't seen either one of those cookbooks! which do you like better?
Oh, you would love More with Less I think. It's a mennonite cookbook too and has a ton of great recipes. I have Extending the Table too but haven't used it very much at all. From what I remember it focuses on a lot of international dishes/foods but I haven't looked thru it recently.
Emily
Post a Comment