Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Raw Milk & Farm Eggs

Two years ago, there was hardly any milk or eggs being consumed in this house. These days, we're knocking them out all over the place. Recently, I bought raw milk (unpasteurized, non-homogenized...straight from the udder) and it was GOOD. And CREAMY.

If you read RealMilk.com, you would think it's the wonder-drink. It is called a "healing food" which is good for everything from skin to colon cancer. It is illegal to buy raw milk at the grocery, but it can be purchased buy buying a share of a cow from a farmer, and paying him to milk it for you. You can also buy raw milk as pet food. Many states outright outlaw the sale altogether, and two permit sale in groceries, with a few restrictions. I like news sources which give a balanced overview of pros & cons. So I thought these were two interesting articles on the subject. Time.com and the US News and World Report.
And you know what else is yummy? The free range, pastured eggs I've been buying. Look how pretty they are. I've bought some chickens too. Many farmers are allowed to sell their meat directly to consumers by selling you a live chicken, and then you pay them to slaughter your chicken.How about you guys? Ever tried raw milk? Raising chickens? I'd love to hear about it.

18 comments:

Laurie said...

that picture of Lance drinking the milk made me GAG! bleechhh! Thick!

Anonymous said...

yuhuu! we buy this kind of milk too. it tastes delicious and it is good for you. most people are just so fearful! and the eggs we buy are the freshest ever. huge difference in taste. never thought there could be a difference in taste.
ps: we buy are milk in these old traditional milk cans. check out my blog! will post some pictures! :)

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

anonymous...what is your blog?

Renee said...

real milk and real eggs – yum!

TheGlissonFamily said...

We love our farm eggs. If only my girls would have liked the taste of raw milk, we'd be doing that as well. But, I've never liked milk (raw or pasturized) much myself, so we'll stick with rice drink for now and get our calcium from our food.

heather{dot}com said...

Thanks for the links - very interesting!

Unknown said...

My neighbor in East Nashville has chickens and now I am just spoiled, I love fresh eggs!! I just walk down to the coop and get a few when I am running low, it is great!!

Anonymous said...

We get our milk from someone in the neighborhood every day, but unfortunately I still "pasteurize" it on the stove b/c i don't know the source well enough (just an acquaintance of a friend). If we ever get a cow with our co-workers and split the milk I'll definitely try raw though! And we get our eggs from another person down the street that has chickens. I love the fact that Judah and Ezra have seen so many times the live chicken (or cow or goat or pig) minutes before it becomes our meal so that it's normal to them and they aren't always so removed from their food source.

Emily

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

EMILY: YOU REMINDED ME OF AN IMPORTANT POINT! From what I understand, it is IMPORTANT to know the source of the raw milk. When they have poor diets, that's when bacteria is introduced & comes through the milk. If you are interested in finding a raw milk source, make sure to do your research!

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

ha ha ha...too funny!! I was just working on a blog about my raw milk and eggs!! Took the pictures a few minutes ago. But will be posting them this afternoon.

LOVE raw milk. My lactose intolerant son can drink it. And there is just nothing like a fresh egg! We're researching having our own laying hens. We'll see....

Lisa said...

We love raw milk and farm-fresh eggs, too! We have been drinking/eating them for about 3 years. Love the taste and how healthy we've been since our change in diet. Love your blog and am glad I found it!

Tammy said...

We live on a farm with beef cows and chickens. The beef and eggs from our animals is far better than any I've ever had bought from a store! We also buy raw milk from a neighboring farmer and we know exactly where it's coming from and what the cows are eating! I love taking my children to the farm to get the milk so they can see directly where it's coming from to nourish our bodies! I'd love for you to follow my new blog. I think we may have alot in common and we can keep in touch! www.homegrowingafamily.blogspot.com
I can't wait to read more of yours!

~ Janis said...

Raw (Jersey) milk helped to reduce some serious medical issues I had. I now make my own kefir with raw milk and it has eliminated my fatigue and severe bowel cramping issues.
Farm fresh eggs certainly taste 100times better than store bought eggs~! And are healthier for you. My chickens eat garden pests and ticks and all kinds of kitchen scraps and then they "make me breckfast" every morning.

It's now calving season at the farm. Come visit:

www.tailgait.blogspot.com

Sherry said...

Upon beginning to drink raw milk, my son's asthma began to disappear. Five years now and the only asthma symptoms he has had were right after we moved to a new state and had yet to find a raw milk provider. Two months on the store bought stuff and he got sick again. Used the meds from the doc, cleared up the cough, went back on the raw milk and never looked back!

It has even helped my 12 y/o dog. She had a black spot in her eye about the diameter of a pencil eraser (cornea over the iris). The vet said it would eventually block her vision. Since giving her raw milk, just because she likes it, the spot is about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. No kidding. The vet has absolutely no explanation as to why the spot disappeared. Well, the only thing that changed was the milk added to her diet. Oh, and give the cream to the kitties and it helps keep the hairballs at bay!

We love it. It's creamy. It's real :) We make butter and yogurt from it. I made kefir, but went on vacation and killed the little buggers. *erp* I also get farm fresh eggs and would not get them anyplace else. I can't understand the people that oppose such wonderful, healthy, healing foods... Once you have had real foods, you will never be the same! (for the better!)

Anonymous said...

Having your own Jersey cow is a lot of work, but they pay back in ways that you could never have imagined. Highly recommended, even if you don't live on a farm.

Anonymous said...

We get our eggs from our own pastured ducks and hens, and are planning for sheep not long from now for our milk and cheese needs. I would love to try a couple of water buffalo for milk, but that won't be for a while. ;-)
The eggs we get from our birds (especially our Cayugas!) are beyond compare, to the point where even "organic, free range" eggs from the grocery store still fall short!

caren said...

We have been drinking raw milk for a year now and also have 4 8 week old pullets who one day, in a couple months will be giving us eggs.

Anonymous said...

Yes, farm fresh is definitely the way to go. However, we don't do raw milk anymore. When we had our own animals, and I was going the milking, I trusted the source. But I won't buy milk that someone else has produced. It's just too risky. It's just too difficult to keep cow fecal matter out of the the milk stream, which is why raw milk, although a fraction of 1% of the food consumed, causes more than 70% of food-borne illness.

As for taste, it has nothing to do with whether it's pasteurized or not. We get farm-fresh, non-homegenized milk and it's delicious. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference between it and raw.

It's just not worth the risk for my family.