Monday, February 22, 2010
Homemade Chicken Stock
I know I have a few vegetarian/vegan friends who read. Hope the following post doesn't gross you out. But to you I say that if there was a way to eat meat, this is the way...I've been buying whole chickens directly from a farmer who lets them roam free, and processes them herself. The meat is delicious and I love knowing that these chickens had a good life. Anyway, I don't know why I haven't done this sooner, but recently I made my own chicken broth for the first time. I roasted a few chickens, and threw the bones in the freezer. Then, I later pulled the bones out and made a broth from the bones. It was so much better than storebought broth/stock.
I've been roasting chickens for a while now, and have always thrown the bones in the trash. What a waste! I loosely went by this recipe.
What about you guys? Do you make your own broth?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I make broth all the time with the leftovers from my CSA chickens. I just stick the carcass in my crockpot with some veggies, salt and pepper, cover it with water, and put it on low for 8-10 hours. Take out the bones, put it in the fridge awhile, take the fat off and then put it in the snack-size ziploc bags, which each hold a cup. (I'm trying to figure out a more eco-friendly way to do that part, but it is dang convenient...)
how funny...i'm making chicken stock today!!
I've made veggie stock a few times...but I haven't worked myself up to the real chicken yet. I also just don't have a refined enough palate to know the difference!
Marke my broth every now and then and yes, it tasted so much better! In Germany, people say that self-made chicken broth with the right veggies is a natural booster against colds. I think it really does help to some degree! :)
That's the cutest thing ever.
Homemade chicken broth can be frozen in reusable glass Freezer/Canning Jars. Leave ample head space before freezing.
http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/onceaweek/msg0822000719636.html?9
PS I reuse plastic mayonnaise jar lids on the canning jars when freezing them and also for storing opened items that have been home canned so you don't have to deal with the lid and the ring.
I always make my own broth unless I spontaneously want to make some soup where it calls for broth and I haven't made any. But usually I try to plan a meal with chicken earlier in the week and then a soup later in the week. I don't always put veggies in the broth though. Usually mine is just from the chicken.
I really should freeze what I don't use in the soup, but usually I give it to the dogs (if it's winter) to help them build up their coat and fat to stay warm.
I just started in January. It sure beats spending 3.50 on a box of organic/gf broth! I am loving this back to basics lifestyle. It just makes so much more sense. I mean, I have a small organic, free range local chicken I just baked. That's 4 for meals for me at least, plus all that broth. People think it's more expensive to eat organic/natural but it really isn't... it just takes changing your mindset and spending a few more minutes in the kitchen.
Post a Comment