Lance, Ethan & I are starting a vegetable garden this year. Pictured is the bed that was totally trampled during all the house construction, so I'm clearing it out & going to put in a vegetable garden. Right now, my big job is clearing out all the MINT which is running rampant in the bed. (Folks: Mint smells lovely, but spreads like wildfire!! Put it in a pot, people!!!)This year, I'm starting light & easy, with peas, tomato, corn & maybe some blueberry bushes. It looks like I'm not alone though. The gardening trend is exploding these days, with our economy in the tank and all.
Indications are that 7 million more households plan to grow their own fruits, vegetables, herbs or berries in 2009. This is up 19 percent from 2008 and anticipated to nearly double the 10 percent growth already seen in this area from 2007 to 2008.
Any of you folks joining in the trend? If so, Whatcha planting? Any favorite easy Southern climate plants?
Or maybe no one is out there. Have you all left Blogger for Facebook?
14 comments:
i don't know if you're a reader, but my husband just finished a book i think you would enjoyed entitled, "The Omnivore's Delimma". It follows four different types of meal (fast food, co-op, whole foods, etc) from the start to the table. he loved it and based on all your food and gardening posts, i thought i'd recommend it!!!
That reminds me, Carrie. I also started some herbs from seed...basil, oregano, parsley, sage and rosemary, for a kitchen garden. All but the rosemary are doing well. If you would like some of those, as well as the tomato plant (which is doing pretty well now, by the way), you are welcome to them. Just let me know.
Hilarious! Sometimes I, too, feel like everyone has abandoned blogger for facebook!
I plan on doing some things in pots- just couldn't face the big vegetable garden this summer. I need to get control of what is already here. We haven't even been in this house a year, yet. All the beds need to be cleaned out, weeded, mulched, etc. It is a big job. Now I know why people pay to have landscapers!
Our mint went wild too! I cleared it all out, and we'll see if it's lucky enough to make an appearance this year (in a pot of course!). We're about to buy a raised bed from Gardens of Babylon instead of digging up some of the yard for more space. I'm excited to have room for more variety.
Better Boy tomatoes and Half-Runner Green beans do best in Southern Climates. They also taste the best!
I would, but I think we only get six weeks of warm weather up there!! Amanda Curcio
I'm so jealous! One of the downsides to Townhome living is no yard, therefore no garden. I did a potted garden a couple of years ago and it was okay, but I felt very limited. So once we sell this house and get a yard I will be looking for some pointers:)
Hopefully we will be planting some blueberry plants. I just wrote about it on my blog. :) I also would like to tackle herbs and cherry tomatoes.
Well, my plants from seeds that I started in February have died off already. I didn't take very good care of those, but I do have bush bean seeds, squash seeds and cucumbers seeds to put directly into the garden. I'll buy my tomato plants and a pepper plant. Now I just have to get the garden tilled up. I do have basil, oregano and parsley growing in my window of the kitchen.
I second the Omnivore's Dilemma recommendation!
I, too, am trying my hand at gardening this year. I have no idea if we'll actually get to eat anything from it but we'll see how it goes!
We're planting tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, and peppers, as well as some herbs- rosemary, basil, and oregano.
Squash are really easy...I will also plant tomatoes, cucumbers, and try okra (I have yet to be successful on this one- nor have I ever successfully made a fried batch that even remotely tastes like my grandmother's). I have never tried berries- though I might try them this year. Good luck!
I just spent $5 on two TINY sprigs of basil tonight, so I am getting a basil plant this weekend. Cilantro and parsley, too. Other than that I should get enough veggies for just one through the CSA (switching to avalon this year). My sister grew basil last year, and we LIVED off of fresh pesto! There is a sell on herbs at the fairgrounds this Saturday in honor of earth day, fyi.
http://www.herbsocietynashville.org/events_open_to_the_public.htm
I have grown radishes, tomatoes, squash, basil, thyme, sage with success. Carrots, lettuce, strawberries have not worked so well. Have fun! Liz
Post a Comment