Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Before & After - Kitchen

Here are a few more before & afters of our kitchen. A view you've already seen before, but here's a side-by-side. We removed the wall between our eating room & kitchen. We also removed the wall between the playroom and hall & did some serious space planning to make use of the height of the cabinets, etc. Good thing the hubby got to use that architecture degree! I don't have a true "before" picture of this view of the kitchen, because there was a wall in the middle of this space. But once we gutted it, it looked like this:Then, we put up the drywall & things started looking good! This is a slightly different angle, which shows more of the old "playroom" to the left, which is now opened up to the kitchen. This also shows the process of laying down new hardwoods to match the old. Also, that door & window used to be in opposite places, but we switched them to add a little more space in our kitchen.And here's the finished product! It feels GOOD to be home!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing!! And I have that granite in my new place...i LOVE it

- Caroline

Courtney said...

It looks awesome! I bet you are loving it!

jodi said...

It's beautiful, Carrie! And looks VERY functional!
What kind of high chair is that? Do you you like it?

Amanda Conley said...

It looks awesome. You should submit your remodel story to Better Homes and Gardens. They award prizes. ;)

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

Jodi: THe high chair is "Eddie Bauer", from Baby's R Us a few years ago.

Amanda: Prizes?? I like prizes.

Jason Brozek said...

Wow - that looks great, and good for you for being willing to tear down walls to get the room you want!

Also, you asked a comment on my blog (1402division.wordpress.com) about RSS feeds and GoogleReader. They're different things, but they play together well. Think of RSS like a beacon that transmits every time a website (a blog, a website, a specific Craigslist search) gets updated. Beacons are great, but they're even better if you have something to see them with. That's where GoogleReader comes in - you enter the RSS feed ("Hey, GoogleReader - keep an eye out for beacons from this url") and it brings the information to you in an easy-to-read form. I make it one of my home tabs in Firefox, so every time I open a browser, I find out whether any of the forty or fifty beacons I'm watching have gone off.