New mother Ann, who had given birth three weeks earlier by herself, she bled out a whole lot, and was so weak afterwards that she did not eat for three days. The baby was premature, a lot premature. Ann’s feet were so swollen that her flip flops would not fit and she could hardly walk.
You could tell that the baby was small by the size of the head, but with all of the clothes and blankets you could not see anything else. We took the baby in a room to unwrap the baby in order to check the umbilical cord and outer health of the baby. I have never seen anything like that in my life. I have seen premature babies, but not like that. It is literally skin and bones. There is nothing there. The skin hangs off the body like an older person because it has nothing to wrap around. I was so nervous holding the baby because I felt the bones would just crumble. A baby like that should be in the hospital, not out in the cold weather. The infant also had a boil and open wounds on his hands. The mother had the boy covered up so much that no air was getting to any part of the body except the face. Not to mention the fact that the clothes were also wet. We cleaned the boy off, washed away all the feces, put on a diaper and new clothes, and wrapped him in a new blanket.
Someone paid to take Ann and her baby to the hospital. This just happened a few days ago, and it’s not yet known if the baby will live. This is just one of the many harsh realities of so many in impoverished countries. This mother doesn’t have money for food or shelter, but when she does get milk the baby cannot even eat.
4 comments:
I am so proud of you! Made In the Streets is such an awesome mission. I got to spend about 3 days there when I went to Africa and it was life changing!
As a mother those types of stories are so hard to read...What a great thing you guys did, I am sure that money will go a long way for those that need it!
Man! I forgot you were doing that! It is so awesome that you did! What a heavy story.
congrats on such a successful sale!
Post a Comment