This year, Nashville's Metro Schools have switched to Standard School Attire. While I don't think it's a bad idea, the list of approved clothing is quite strict. Students can wear: White or navy collared shirts. Navy blue, black or khaki pants or shorts. As you can imagine, some needy families are having difficulty buying the required clothing so their children can attend school.
If you have any of the above items that you could donate, ThriftSmart has set up a donation service at several churches, including Otter Creek on Franklin Rd. Please contact them to find out how to donate.
4 comments:
I voted for the new attire because I think it will be really good for the boys- especially Kaleb who starts middle school this year, but I didn't really think ahead to the fact that I have to get a whole new wardrobe for the boys, and all the cute clothes I have been saving won't be used much. Thank goodness for ThriftSmart! Our church is donating too, and I will definitely be shopping there!
Hey,
As a metro teacher, I think it's a great idea. There is a great need for those donations. It would be a great service project for your sunday school class. Each school is creating a clothes closet for their indogent children and they don't want to use their indogent funds for clothes since they use them for school supplies. Our sunday school class and church is taking donations as well. Thanks for addressing this Carrie. Walmart will also be carrying the items for standard school attire.
After teaching in several inner-city areas (as well as some wealthy/suburban ones) I am a BIG FAN of the uniform/standard school attire idea. I think it is beneficial no only for the academic environment but it is huge for the social one as well. I think it is great!
That being said, I am also aware of the strain it puts on many of the families it is intended to help. One idea that can be used to support needy families in the future: When cheaper places like Old Navy, Target, Kohls, Walmart and such have their end of season clearance sales, I sometimes buy up whatever sizes are left of the 'staples' and then donate them to either schools or to individuals....even if they can't use them in the current season it helps them to be prepared for the next one.
Thanks for increasing our awareness on yet another issue, Carrie-you are great at that!
Thanks for sharing, y'all. Melissa, what a great idea to buy those staples at the end of the season sales. thanks for passing that along!
Post a Comment