Let me back up...we do have a DVD player, but I like to wait until the hair-pulling-out-stage to turn to electronics. So I borrowed movies from friends and loaded up, but was hoping to watch very little tv. (We watched 6 movies. 3 on the 20 hour ride to Colorado, 3 on the 20 hour ride home.)
Here are some of the things that kept them busy!
*Books on CD from the library
*Surprise Ink Books, similar to this (These were the hit!)
*Sticker Books
*Hid stickers throughout magazines and have the kids search for them
*2 of those magnetic moustache thingies (Thanks Yolanda!)
*2 Cheap Target Harmonicas (also a hit. go figure.)
*Crayons
*a few Jumbo Push Pops (they last a long time) and other snacks
*Travel Bingo (They were too young. This was a flop.)
*An I Spy Travel Toy that I bought a few years ago, like this one
*And last of all, My Fun Book (pictured above): I made one for each kid, which included a map of the US which highlighted our travels, Coloring Pages, Writing & Math Pages, Mazes, Find the Picture, Dot-to-Dot Games, travel scavenger hunts and more! It wasn't fancy, but kept them entertained for a while!
Here are some other tip pages for traveling with kids: Here, Here,Here or Here. Do you have any tips for traveling with kids?
1 comment:
Those are some great ideas! I've realized that we need to have some ideas like that for long car trips during furlough times. They always stay happy just looking out the window during our long car trips here (from here to Nairobi usually, about 11 hours and a border crossing) but it's a different story in the States! I guess b/c the interstate drives are so boring? (relative to usual drives here?) Glad you had a great vacation and thanks for the tips ( :
emily
Post a Comment