Thursday, September 18, 2008

Crepe Myrtle

We once had a crepe myrtle that I loved. Then, a drunk driver plowed it down. It was tall & beautiful and looked like an even bigger version of this (photo from here). But it took a lickin' & keeps on tickin'. However, the bush is now coming back like this (ours pictured): I've realized that crepe myrtles are pruned in a number of ways. I don't prefer the bush-style, which is how it's growing back. I've asked around, but am not quite sure how to prune it to get it back to it's previous condition. Should I go ahead and trim it down to 4-6 branches and let them grow? Or should I let it grow as a bush and trim back the other branches when they all are a bit bigger?

Anyone know? I get the best advice here, so I know somebody's got something. ...Anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie, I'm sending you an e-mail with instructions I had in my plant file. Too long for a blog post.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

I'm posting the email here for anyone else who is interested...This from Southern Living magazine...

1) Prune in late winter. February is ideal.

2) Select three to five well-spaced trunks, and cut off any others at ground level.

3) Remove suckers at the base, crossing or rubbing branches, and branches growing inward toward the center of the plant.

4) As the tree grows, gradually remove all side branches from the main trunks up to a height of 5 feet or so.

5) Cut back to another branch, to just above an outward-facing bud on a branch, or to the branch collar (a swollen area where the branch joins the trunk). Never leave lone or clustered stubs.

6) Try to remove unwanted branches before they get thicker than a pencil.

7) Do NOT round off the top of the bush.

8) During the first summer of restoration, the plant often grows more flowers than it can support. This is why it is good to remove the weakest branches and open up the center.