Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Allergy Story, Part 2

To update the Allergy Story that I originally posted last year... If you are a close friend or regular visitor here, this is old news…

Our Situation: My 2+ year old is allergic to anything that contains dairy & eggs. He has not yet been tested for allergies to nuts & shellfish, but we have been told to steer clear of those foods, for risk of developing allergies to them. He has also been tested for soy & wheat, but the results were negative. At age 3, Ethan will be given a more comprehensive test for additional allergies. Many of you remember that my dr. told me to give up nuts/dairy/eggs/shellfish while in the 3rd trimester & while nursing. After much consideration, I decided to just go very light on these foods for now, completely avoid nuts, and then while nursing, I’ll go completely 100% dairy/egg/nut/shellfish-free as well.

Ethan’s Reactions: Fortunately, we’ve done a pretty good job of keeping him free of his allergens. He did have exposure a few months ago, from just 3 tiny bites of a Veggie Sausage. He’s had a few other even more minor encounters, which resulted in an eczema outbreak or minor nasal congestion. After seeing his reaction from such a small amount of a sausage, makes me scared about what would happen if he actually had a concentrated amount, like an accidental glass of milk.

The Blog Posts: If you're looking for nut/egg/milk/shellfish-free recipes, they are in the pages & pages under the “Food” label (below right). Not all recipes listed there are allergy-free, but I do have some good ones. If you are looking for my food allergy posts, you can look under the “Food Allergy” label, also listed at right.

I’m always happy to make a connection with anyone in my shoes, so if you are a closet blog reader with food allergies in your family, feel free to contact me! It’s always very nice to make a connection with someone in the same boat. Any questions? I can’t remember any more of the allergy FAQs that I get!

6 comments:

The Hadfields said...

What a constant worry Carrie!! Sophie doesn't handle too much dairy well, but that's the extent of her allergies to food.
By the way, we looked for your house while we were in Nashville 2 weekends ago. I'll have to contact you next time we're coming so we can hang out!! :)

Elizabeth said...

Hi! I was at a birthday party recently and your site was recommended to me. I have a four year old son who has life threatening allergies to milk, eggs, peanuts and shellfish. Thank you for sharing your story and for all the great suggestions. It sounds like we have a lot in common. I also have a two year old daughter whose latest blood work looks good! We haven't tried her on any of the above allergens yet, ~still a little nervous :)~ but hopefully the "elimination diet" payed off. Thank you again. I have enjoyed your site. Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog with so much food allergy info. you post about and have linked. It was recently confirmed that my son is allergic to milk and we also found out he is allergic to eggs and peanuts. He just turned 1 this month. I have been nursing him and luckily he has been able to tolerate these things in my milk without any problems. This is new to me - none of my other children have food allergies. Your blog has been of great help so far to inform me about so many alternative choices. Julie

Carrie Sparks McClain said...

Carrie,

I saw this on another blog and thought of you. It looks like a great recipe for E. It doesn't have eggs, nuts or dairy if I looked at it close enough and you can mix the dry ingredients ahead of time and keep them in your pantry. Check it out! Hopefully it is one you might be able to use.

http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/making-your-own-cake-mix/

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

I'm so glad that you've enjoyed the blog, elizabeth & julie! i'm hoping your little children outgrow their food allergies, and mine does too!

Lisa said...

My brother had 9 major food allergies while we were growing up: Eggs, Milk/Dairy, Beef, Chicken, Potatoes, Citrus... I forget them all. It was tough eating sometimes and I recall we had a lot of ham. While I was big sister (by 6 years) and not mom, I still had to be careful every time I cooked for him or took him anywhere and it was a constant worry. By the time he was 12 he'd outgrown everything but the Potatoes. Hopefully your son will have such luck as well, but in the mean time you have my sympathies.

Also, I hear they can do allergy testing from blood drawn, rather than scratching up the skin now, if this is true, I think surely one needle poke is better than a hundred scratches!