Friday, December 18, 2009

Kids are Born Different

Ethan would eat 80% of whatever foods I put in front of him. My Princess, on the other hand, will eat only what she chooses to eat. However I believe in continuing to offer foods, even though they are rejected. So she has been offered broccoli countless times. Last month, I had steamed some broccoli & set it on the table as I got ready for dinner. I look over and she's eating it all! So i have a new technique. About an hour before lunch or dinner, I steam some broccoli, and then sprinkle a little salt & lemon juice. Then, I tell the kids in my most playful tone of voice, "I put my broccoli on the table. Don't you eat it!!!!" It's all gone 3 1/2 minutes later. It's a win, win situation. My newfound technique has never let me down. It's the little victories, people.

10 comments:

Mindy said...

I like that game! I may have to try it!! Good One.

julia said...

I will try that! Since Emma pretty much only eats meat, bread, cheese, and yoghurt... I WILL TRY THAT! Davy is so different. He will eat everything. It is fun to cook for him!

Ginger said...

I PROMISE you I could put a bowl of broccoli on the table like that and Ryan would not touch it if it were the last thing left on Earth to eat!!

Tabatha said...

That's so great! Wonder if it would work with my princess? She's so picky!

the Wilbecks said...

OH, love that idea...gonna try it this week. Thanks!

The Normans! said...

I so agree with continuing to offer foods previously refused by picky mouths. Just last week Elijah happily ate a handful of carrots... something that he hasn't done since the days of pureed baby food! Yay! Way to go Carrie and Katie Belle!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious but such a good idea! ( :
Emily M.

Anonymous said...

Sneaky mom!

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

Am I encouraging rebellion? I have wondered this, but I'm sure hoping not!

Anonymous said...

You LUCKY lady!! Both of mine ate everything under the sun until they turned 2...and have since become extremely picky. Sigh.