Thursday, January 25, 2007

Vegan Birthday Cake



Ethan just turned one a few weeks ago. I’ve been looking forward to the days of grilled cheese or PBJ sandwiches for my growing tot. But it looks like those days won’t be coming anytime soon. We had him tested for allergies & sure enough, he is allergic to dairy and eggs. The doctor says to keep him away from other high allergy foods like peanuts (and other nuts) and shellfish as well, because he’s likely to develop allergies to those as well. I’m so sad for him. This will probably keep him healthier – because he’ll just have to steer clear of most cookies, cakes, candies, etc. But it will NOT be easy!

I’m thankful that Lance & I don’t have a ton of this in our diet anyway, it won’t be the most dramatic lifestyle change for us. There are tons of dairy & egg alternatives out there. But mostly it will be so very difficult when we go to other people’s homes, out to eat, to parties, etc.

If you are in the same boat, or have a restricted diet, I would love to hear from you. I’m interested to learn some new recipes & get some new ideas for things Ethan will like.

Keep an eye out for us at your local potluck. You’ll know who we are – we’ll be the ones with the soy pizza & vegan cookies in hand.

7 comments:

josh and darci said...

So glad to have found your blog. Welcome to the outlet of blogging :) I have no suggestions for your diet issues. Brax had a milk protein intolerance when I was nursing him and it was so difficult to find "dairy-free" alternatives. Good luck! Our blog is darciandjoshbelville.blogspot.com. See you soon, I'm sure!

CaRoLiNe said...

OH NO!!! That makes me so sad :( I went to elementary school with a kid allergic to chocolate. You have to tell the other moms so when they bring in sweets they will make something special for Ethan. On the upside, he probably won't be fat! My my, how jealous he'll be when I tell him how his mama used to come over to my house and have her hands in the Lucky Charms before I even took off my coat :-D Love you!! I'll ask around for recipes...

CaRoLiNe said...

PS: Not that there's anything wrong with being fat. I mean, except health-wise. Then it's not such a good idea. But I would never judge. Ok. Goodnight. :-/

The Hadfields said...

Sophie loves Soy. She can't do milk or lots of cheese either. It hasn't been a big deal, just a pain. He is precious by the way!! Absolutely adorable.
PS: Karina's sister Vanessa has been my best friend since grade school..how cool?

Liz Llewellyn said...

Hey Carrie--my brother, Matt, was allergic to eggs until he was about 4, and then he grew out of it. Have the doctors mentioned any possibility of that? Just curious.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

What's wrong with Fat People, Caroline? You are so judgemental...(just kidding.) Yes, Liz. I read that 80% of children with allergies like these outgrow them by the time they are 5. That's the good news.

Bad news, is that is several years away. Plus, Dr. says future kid(s) will need to steer clear as well. And me, too, while I'm nursing. So this problem isn't going away anytime soon!!

PS. Calypso Cafe's beans, rice & sweet potatoes are dairy/egg free (I've double checked.) Loved the restaurant before, but now it will ALWAYS be the restaurant of choice for Ethan & I.

Anonymous said...

Hey Carrie! AhhH! Someone just sent me to your blog. We so badly need to meet up at Whole Foods sometime. We are in your same boat. My 3 1/2 year old son is allergic to Dairy, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, and all gluten products. I'm so glad E. doesn't have the gluten!! That one is a bummer. But, I would love to just walk the aisles there with you to see what you buy, and to show you the things I buy. I am sending another friend from Nashville to your site who has the same food allergies Ethan has too. We really need to get together. By the way, I have another son who may be exactly Ethan's age...he was born Jan. 14, 2006. :) Email me if you have time at gingerhyatt@comcast.net. Thanks. ginger hyatt